Tuesday 30 October 2012

A Different Kind of Pumpkin Patch


I just had to add these decorated pumpkins to my blog.  Instead of going to the pumpkin patch each year, our Grade One and Grade Two students enjoy a mock pumpkin patch on our school playground.  One of our teachers goes to a local farm and is able to get 100 small pumpkins for about 50 cents each. The pumpkins are scattered around the playground and each class takes turns heading out for each child to pick out the perfect pumpkin.  It takes only a few minutes but the kids are overjoyed by the surprise. 

This year my class painted their pumpkin with either silver or "gold" acrylic paints using a foam brush.  These are actually bronze and not gold, as I was low on gold.  However, I prefer the bronze anyway...  The stems are painted with black acrylic paint.


When dry the students took turns painting white glue onto their stems and sprinkling black glitter on them.  I bought the glitter on sale at Michaels.  It comes in a test-tube looking container and actually looks more like little crystals than glitter flakes.


We then wrapped a black pipe cleaner around a pencil and glued these to the pumpkins.




I love the way these turned out and it was so funny how many adults came into the room to ask for instructions on how to make them for their home.

For more great pumpkin ideas, go here...The Great Classroom Pumpkin Project Linky

Have a happy and safe Halloween!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh, I LOVE the bronze color! They turned out so pretty. What a fantastic idea! I am super excited you stopped by and linked up to the Mingle Hop and left me a comment. You know how much I love art projects so I am ecstatic to start following your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

You May Also Like

Followers